SAN ANTONIO – A fire that destroyed a mobile home early Tuesday in south Bexar County where eight people lived is believed to have been intentionally set.
Laura Jesse, a spokeswoman for the Bexar County Fire Marshal's Office, said investigators have not determined who started the fire around 2 a.m. in the 23000 block of Hilltop Peaks.
A spokeswoman for the Bexar County Sheriff's Office confirmed there was a report of a disturbance at the location at the same time the fire was reported.
Still, the most pressing issue for some was the fight involving the fire.
"We had initial reports that there was somebody inside. However, our search crews were unable to locate anybody," said Capt. Michael Rice, acting battalion chief for Bexar County Fire & Rescue No. 2. "It appears the house is going to be a complete loss. Two adults and six children have been displaced."
Everyone had already escaped the fire by the time help arrived.
Rodney Massey was spending the night at the home of a friend nearby when he heard about the fire on his friend's police scanners. Massey said he rushed over to see if he could help the residents.
"I mean, it looked like somebody got hurt in there, at first, because we saw the ambulance and all the fire trucks," he said. "The flames were up high. They were past the trees up there. You can see them burned down."
Massey ended up recording some of the firefight with his cellphone.
While no one was injured, a sheriff deputy said the woman who lives in the home was taken to a hospital for an unrelated issue.