SAN ANTONIO – Armando Herrera Jr., a 22-year-old Von Ormy man accused of beating a 2-year-old girl, allegedly was upset with the child for refusing to eat and throwing food.
The details of the case are spelled out in an arrest warrant affidavit from the Bexar County Sheriff's Office.
It stated that Herrera admitted he hit the girl, who is not his child, with the stem from a fake rose on June 9. According to the affidavit, the toddler suffered visible bruises on her back and buttocks.
It stated that her head and part of her eyebrows also had been shaved.
Two people who later noticed the bruises called the Sheriff's Office on Wednesday, saying they feared the child was about to be brought to a place where Herrera could hurt her again, the affidavit stated.
Investigators questioned the toddler's mother, who told them that she had seen Herrera mistreat her daughter before, by holding his hand over her mouth while she was crying, the affidavit stated.
Both the 2-year-old and a 5-month-old baby since have been placed into protective custody, the affidavit stated.
It stated that in addition to admitting to the beating, Herrera also told investigators that he shaved off the toddler's hair. However he said he did it because she had lice.
The shaving of the eyebrows, he said, was him "just having fun," the affidavit stated.
Herrera was arrested Thursday morning on a charge of injury to a child. Records show he has been released on bond.
Outside his mobile home Friday morning, a woman claiming to be his mother said he "is not a bad person." She said Herrera has children of his own and has never hit any of them.