49ºF

Reminder: Fireworks illegal in SA city limits

Fire department fireworks hotline open for holiday

SAN ANTONIO – With the Fourth of July holiday coming up this weekend, the San Antonio Fire Department is reminding residents that the use of fireworks is illegal within the city limits.

Injuries to people and the potential for fires are the reasons for the ban, the department said. SAFD said an estimated 17,800 fires were started across the country by fireworks in 2011, resulting in 40 injuries and about $32 million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

In San Antonio, firefighters responded to 29 calls last year, which may have been fireworks-related. Those calls included two structure fires and 10 brush or grass fires, the department said. 

SAFD said an estimated 8,700 people were treated for fireworks-related injuries in 2012, according to the NFPA.

A fireworks hotline will be in operation Saturday for residents to report fireworks usage. The phone lines will be open from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. at 210-207-0202.

The purchase, use and transport of fireworks is a Class C misdemeanor, which can carry a fine of up to $2,000. 

Click here for a list of Fourth of July events in the San Antonio area.