67ºF

Fire Marshal says steel mill fire may have been cause by gas left in car

Fire crews were forced to shred metal, removing evidence

photo

SEGUIN, Texas – The Guadalupe County Fire Marshal said that the fire last month at CMC Steel Mill in Seguin appears to have been caused by gasoline left in the tank of a car when it was added to a pile of metal.

That information comes from witnesses to the fire, the Fire Marshal said.

The official cause will be difficult to determine because fire crews were forced to shred most of the scrap pile to put out the fire, resulting in the loss of the evidence.

Gas left in the tank of a car was the cause of a fire at the same plant a year ago.