Tips to drive safe in school zones
As kids head back to school, drivers may need a refresher course on what to do when school zone lights are flashing. Officer Marcus Trujillo has these tips:
"Let’s talk about the reduced speed for school zones.
Some people have asked, "Do I have to pay attention to the flashing lights that indicate I need to reduce my speed for the school zone even though it's summer time and school’s out?"
Remember: here in Texas we do have some schools that do go year-round.
We also have school functions that are operating during those summer months when most other kids are out of school.
Third, you need to pay attention to what the sign says. The sign actually says reduced speed when lights are flashing. All the school zone signs with the flashing lights will have that sign on there which means it doesn't matter which time of the day or night it is, it doesn't matter what day of the month it is, if those lights are flashing, you need to reduce that speed or you could receive a ticket for exceeding that school zone speed limit.
The school zone limit and no cell phone ban that we have here in San Antonio extends to all school zones.
There's a state law - that's statewide - for no hand-held devices in any school zones.
The city ordinance applies to no hand-held devices on any City of San Antonio roadway. You have two different laws: one applies to all school zones, one applies to all roads here in the City of San Antonio."
OTHER TRAFFIC TIPS:
- What's the correct way to wear a seat belt?
- Tip for drivers: Don't block an intersection
- Still confused about the 'Texas Two Step' process? You're not alone
- When does a speed limit change take effect?
- When do you stop at an intersection?
- Is it legal to drive with your pet on your lap?
- When do you need to use your turn signal?
- What do you need to do if you're involved in an accident?
- When and where do drivers have to yield to pedestrians?
- What are the rules for moving items in a pickup?
- What are the rules for riding in the back of a pickup?
- Does the hands-free ordinance apply to bicyclists?
- Can you legally drive on the highway below the speed limit?
- What exactly is hands-free?
- BCSO will enforce the hands-free law in only one place
- What laws do bicyclists have to follow?
- Can you see the officer's radar if you're pulled over for speeding?
- Will covering up your VIN keep thieves from stealing your car?
- When is it legal to cross the street?
- Will crying get you out of a ticket?
- BAD ANSWER: "Officer, I only had 2 beers"
- Do you have to wear shoes while driving?
- Is there a minimum age to ride a motorcycle?
- What should you do if you're pulled over at night?
- What may get you out of a ticket
Copyright 2015 by KSAT - All rights reserved.