56ºF

Application period for early college high school begins

Registration for 2016-2017 school year lasts Oct. 1 to Dec. 11

photo

SAN ANTONIO – The application period for San Antonio Independent School District early college high schools, as well as the Young Men’s Leadership academy and Young Women’s Leadership Academy, began Thursday.

The schools currently accepting applications include Brackenridge Early College High School with St. Philip’s College, St. Philip’s Early College High School with SAISD, Travis Early College High School with San Antonio College, the Young Men’s Leadership Academy and the Young Women’s Leadership Academy.

Brackenridge, St. Philip’s, and Travis early college high schools are accepting applications for student’s entering the ninth grade. It should be noted that under Brackenridge’s admission requirements, 90 percent of admitted students must live within the Brackenridge High School area and the other 10 percent must reside outside SAISD boundaries.

The Young Men’s Leadership Academy is accepting applications from boys entering grades 4-7. The academy is San Antonio’s only all-boys public school and features a focus on college prep, leadership development, character and discipline.

The Young Women’s Leadership Academy is accepting applications from girls entering grades 6-9. It is San Antonio’s only all-girls public school with a focus on college prep, leadership development, math, science and wellness. It was recently named a 2015 National Blue Ribbon School.

Applications will be accepted from Oct. 1 through Dec. 11. Applications for SAISD magnets and other in-district charter schools will be taken starting Jan. 4, 2016.