15 counties declared federal disaster, eligible for aid
How to apply for aid after October storms
SAN ANTONIO – After declaring a state disaster last week, President Barack Obama has issued a presidential disaster declaration for 15 Texas counties.
They include, Bastrop, Brazoria, Caldwell, Comal, Galveston, Guadalupe, Hardin, Harris, Hays, Hidalgo, Liberty, Navarro, Travis, Willacy and Wilson counties.
With the federal declaration federal assistance is now available for eligible individuals and business owners.
Below is information that residents will need when applying.
Survivors can apply online at DisasterAssistance.gov or by phone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free numbers are open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.
Applicants will be asked for the following information:
- Social Security number
- Address of the damaged primary residence
- Description of the damage
- Information about insurance coverage
- A current contact telephone number
- An address where they can receive mail
- Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds
Homeowners and renters may include grants to help pay for:
- Temporary housing
- Essential home repairs
- Uninsured and underinsured personal property losses
- Other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance