SAN ANTONIO – The sixth annual H-E-B Slimdown Showdown kicked off last week with 30 contestants across the state competing in the weight loss challenge. On Tuesday, contestants had the opportunity to shop with a registered dietician, helping them make the healthiest choices for their new lifestyle.
“Weight loss is all about making the right choices, eating at home, making sure that you're having the right cooking methods. And it's less about depriving yourself and being miserable,” H-E-B Registered Dietitian Jennifer Feise said.
Feise spent the morning assisting contestant Jennifer Brooklyn, who has lost six pounds since the competition started last week.
“It's not a diet or a quick fix,” Brooklyn said. “They're teaching me how to live healthy by eating a lot more vegetables and fruits that I like.”
There is a $10,000 grand prize and a $5,000 "Health Hero" prize this year, but contestants say, it’s about more than just the money.
“I win either way,” Brooklyn said. “I'm a winner, because I already lost weight and I know it works, and I'm going to keep doing it for the rest of my life. So I win.”
The winners will be announced at a Grand Finale celebration on April 16.