Case against Bexar deputy accused of rape turned over to DA
Erick Montez accused of assaulting inmate
SAN ANTONIO – The Bexar County Sheriff's Office has handed over its case against a detention officer accused of rape to the District Attorney's Office.
Former detention officer Erick Montez was arrested last month when he was accused of sexually assaulting a female inmate he was transporting between county jail facilities in late December.
According to an offense report released today, the victim first made an outcry to jail officials on Jan. 2 but wasn't interviewed by an investigator until Jan. 4.
Sheriff's spokesman James Keith said the lag time is common. He said the victim was immediately provided medical care and separated from Montez after making the outcry.
The investigator determined the assault happened in a transport van that was parked in a county parking lot on Dec. 27.
Investigators said surveillance video backed up the woman's claims and they fired Montez.
The case will now be presented to a grand jury.
Copyright 2016 by KSAT - All rights reserved.