77ºF

22 people in Bexar County being investigated for Zika virus

Metro Health says still only 3 confirmed cases

photo

SAN ANTONIO – The number of people being investigated for the Zika virus in Bexar County has ballooned from six last Friday to 22 this Friday.

The Metropolitan Health District released its updated numbers Friday and said there are still only three confirmed cases in the county. That number has not changed since last week.

Also the same as last week: One test has been confirmed negative.

Metro Health said the three people who tested positive were infected while traveling out of the country.

Metro Health said the Zika virus is part of the same family of viruses that cause yellow fever, West Nile, Chikungunya and dengue. It is primarily transmitted through the bite of infected Aedes mosquitoes. It can also be transmitted from a pregnant mother to her baby during pregnancy or around the time of birth. In rare cases, it can be transmitted through sexual activity or blood transfusion, Metro Health said.

Symptoms of the virus typically begin two to seven days after being bitten and include fever, rash, joint pain or red eyes, Metro Health said. The illness usually mild and people might not realize they are infected.

Pregnant women are advised to delay travel to Zika-affected areas.