Gas leak closes some buildings at NW Vista College
No injuries reported
SAN ANTONIO – A gas leak on Monday led to the closure of three main buildings and several portable buildings on the campus of Northwest Vista College.
Renata Serafin, the school's director of community and public relations, said construction workers accidentally hit a nearby gas line sometime after 9 a.m. Monday. As a precaution, the school called for an evacuation of buildings in the immediate area, including the library.
Driton Salihu was on his way to class when he heard about the closure from a campus police officer.
“No class? Can't complain, you know? I get to study for my test,” he said. “That's good, I guess. No one's hurt."
Serafin said the gas leak was contained quickly. The buildings, however, remained closed for several hours. Serafin said she expected them to reopen by 2 p.m.
Only classes in certain buildings near the site of the gas leak were canceled, Serafin said. The rest of the campus was not affected by the closures.
Copyright 2016 by KSAT - All rights reserved.