88ºF

Man accused of trying to run over deputy constables arrested Tuesday

Alex Cortez, 35, taken into custody on South Side

photo

SAN ANTONIO – A man accused of trying to run over two Precinct 4 deputy constables and leading them on a car chase has been arrested.

Precinct 1 deputy constables took Alex Cortez, 35, into custody just before noon Tuesday at a home in the 100 block of Compton Avenue on the South Side.

Officials said they went to the home to look for Cortez, who was previously arrested at the same location.

Cortez was in the middle of shaving when he was arrested, authorities said.

Two Precinct 4 deputy constables were conducting a traffic stop on Cortez Monday afternoon when they said he tried to run them over. One of the deputies fired two shots at Cortez's vehicle.

A pursuit began, with Bexar County sheriff's deputies assisting. Cortez crashed at South Flores Street and Gerald Avenue and fled on foot.

He was wanted on two felony drug possession charges, as well as assault with a deadly weapon against a peace officer and evading arrest.