NISD officer 'instrumental' in talking school administrator out of standoff, police say

Assistant principal in 5-hour standoff Friday morning

SAN ANTONIO – A school assistant principal was arrested Friday morning after police said he responded to a break up with some shotgun blasts and a police standoff.

Police arrested Arnulfo Guajardo, 45, for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon following a five-hour standoff in the 9400 block of Silent Oaks. Guajardo has been an assistant principal at O'Connor High School since 2009, and police say a Northside ISD police lieutenant was instrumental in getting him to come out.

According to an affidavit for an arrest warrant, a woman involved in some type of dating relationship with Guajardo visited and had sex with him. After they were done, she reportedly told Guajardo that would be the last time and she was going to return to her fiancé.

The affidavit alleges Guajardo fired a shotgun into the ceiling, put the barrel against the woman’s chest while yelling and cussing before firing the shotgun again as she left the bedroom. Eventually, he put the gun down and she left the residence. Guajardo also opened the door to the garage, and she was able to get in her car and leave, according to the affidavit.

Police responded to a call of a shooting in progress just after midnight Friday morning. According to a preliminary report, a woman who was in some sort of dating relationship with Guajardo was attempting to break things off with him.

It wasn't a smooth break up.

"The individual brandished a shotgun and fired it twice," San Antonio Police Department Spokesman Officer Doug Greene said.

The woman left the house while Guajardo stayed inside.

"The officers attempted to contact the individual, but he would not open the door," Greene said. "He would not respond to the officers."

Greene said hostage negotiators and SWAT were contacted.

SAPD also contacted Lt. Kelley Fryar, an NISD police officer, who apparently knew Guajardo.

"(We) felt like this individual would probably be more likely to talk to him than the other officers and investigators," Greene said.

It worked. Greene said Fryar was "instrumental" in making contact with Guajardo and getting him to leave the house at about 5:09 a.m.

Police said Guajardo didn't give them any trouble leaving the home.

"It's a very tense situation, and it's imperative that the person involved listens to every command the officer has given," Greene said. "That is what was done in this particular situation, and that's why the incident was resolved in a safe manner."

A NISD spokesman said Guajardo has been placed on administrative leave.

About the Authors: