Man arrested in fatal West Side shooting

Matthew Zavala, 27, has been charged with murder

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio police have arrested a man they say was responsible for a shooting that ended with the victim being brought to a West Side H-E-B store for help.

Matthew Zavala, 27, has been charged with murder in the fatal shooting of 22-year-old Jeremy Rabago. 

An arrest affidavit said Zavala fired the deadly shots from a car traveling along General McMullen Street, hitting Rabago at least one time in the head.

Police found out about the shooting after Rabago was driven to an H-E-B grocery store on Castroville Road early Sunday morning.

Rabago was rushed to an area hospital but died from his injuries.

Police said one of Rabago's friends told them that they had been hanging out at an apartment complex in the 1900 block of Jamar Street. At one point, the affidavit said, two men walked up and started a fight.

The witness said his group then left in a car. A short time later, he said, he noticed another car pulling up next to theirs and someone in the passenger seat firing shots at them.

Police said the witness identified Zavala in a photo lineup as the person responsible.


(Original Story)

A man is in the hospital after being shot Sunday morning.

Police said they responded to a call at the HEB on Castroville Road on the city’s West Side just before noon.

When they arrived they found a man, who they believe to be in his early 20s, with a gunshot wound.

San Antonio police said they believe the shooting occurred near the intersection of General McMullen Drive and Highway 90.

“There was some sort of an altercation by this person in the vehicle, or other people in the vehicle with him and other subjects in another vehicle,” Lawrence Walters with the SAPD said. “Detectives are still working on that information, so we have not confirmed that, but are looking into it." 

The victim was with three other people at the time. The others were not injured.

The man was taken to University Hospital in critical condition. The medical examiner later confirmed the victim died of his injuries.

About the Authors: