59ºF

1 person injured in large house fire in Northwest San Antonio

Home is a total loss

SAN ANTONIO – A kitchen fire is to blame for starting a large fire on the city's Northwest Side Tuesday evening.

The fire broke out at a house in the 8800 block of Heath Circle Drive. That is just across the street from Jimmy L. Elrod Elementary School.

Crews were called just after 8 p.m.

Fire crews on the scene said the home was a complete loss, but no damage estimates were available.

At least 10 fire units responded to the scene. But crews still face obstacles.

We got the first engine in there (but) nobody else could get in. It was raining at that time, on the dirt road, and we would have had everyone stuck,” Battalion Chief Walter Yates said. “We decided to come in here and go through the yards and we needed to protect these exposures because the wind was coming this way."

The San Antonio Fire Department said one person was in the home at the time cooking. He was taken to the hospital for treatment with burns to his face.

It took fire crews approximately an hour to put out the flames. Due to the home’s proximity to a greenbelt neighbors were putting water on their trees to keep the fire from spreading.

“We all grabbed our water hose and tried to make sure nothing landed on the roof or nothing landed on the grass,” neighbor George Perez said. ”We were just trying to keep our stuff watered down."