Firefighters give all-clear after Southeast Side chemical scare
Falling debris releases acid fumes
SAN ANTONIO – A haz-mat scare on San Antonio's Southeast Side ended safely Saturday morning.
The chemical scare began when falling debris hit a container and released hydrochloric acid.
Workers were doing roof repair at a business on East Houston Street just outside of Loop 410 around 9:15 a.m. when the roofing material fell off, hitting the container.
Firefighters said the accident sent acid fumes drifting into the air, and toward surrounding businesses.
But a haz-mat crew inspected the source of the leak and determined the acid fumes did not present an ongoing threat.
Fire crews gave the all-clear after about 90 minutes.
Copyright 2016 by KSAT - All rights reserved.