82ºF

Popular SA restaurant sustains significant damage during electrical fire

Folc staff hope to reopen soon

SAN ANTONIO – Folc, a popular restaurant just north of downtown, sustained significant damage Tuesday morning from an apparent electrical fire.

The fire started about 6 a.m. Bartender David Naylor said he arrived about 8 a.m.

"You’re speechless. You really can't say much about it. You take in the situation as it is," Naylor said.

Naylor pointed to burned up motors on the floor and said, “This is actually the culprit right there, the motors from the fridge."

Though the insurance adjuster was on-site, there was no immediate estimate of the damage costs. By noon, cleanup crews had started to arrive to begin to get things put back together.

Stoves, counter tops, food preparation locations, silverware and even the front door were some of the things damaged.

"Luckily, it was just all electrical. (It) wasn't anything else," Naylor said.

No one was in the restaurant at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.

The fire did affect some neighboring businesses. The Oak Park Cleaners had the fans going to air out its business and get rid of the smoke smell from the clothes.

Chez Vatel Bistro, located at the other end of the strip mall where Folc is located, also had to do a little extra cleaning and was only able to serve a limited menu for lunch.

Naylor said the restaurant will be back open as soon as possible. Staff hope to be ready for the Christmas rush.
 


About the Author: