84ºF

Couple escapes house fire caused by space heater

Fire was reported around 3:30 a.m. in 4300 block of Eisenhower Rd

SAN ANTONIO – An early morning house fire woke a couple, killed two birds and caused thousands of dollars in damages, fire officials said Thursday.

The fire was reported around 3:40 a.m. in the 4300 block of Eisenhower Road, found on the city's Northeast Side.

Firefighters said the fire was contained to only the front room of the small home, but the damage is still estimated to as much as four-thousand dollars.

A dog was rescued at the scene, but firefighters found two pet birds dead inside, officials said.

The battalion chief did say they believe the cause of the fire was a space heater in the room, in an area packed with flammable materials.

Arson was called at first, but firefighters quickly deemed it as accidental.

Firefighters say the entire home was filled with stuff.

Though they were able to get a hose inside and put out the flames quickly, smoke ventilation was an issue.

The couple will not be able to stay in the home overnight, so Red Cross is assisting with lodging.

8 units were called to the scene. The couple was not hurt, able to exit the home themselves through a back door.