Space heater possible cause of South Side apartment fire
Fire reported around 6:30 a.m. Friday in 300 block of Chaucer Avenue
SAN ANTONIO – UPDATE: Fire officials said one person has been detained in connection with possibly starting the fire on Chaucer Avenue.
ORIGINAL STORY: A space heater might be to blame for an apartment fire Friday on the city's South Side.
The fire was reported around 6:30 a.m. in the 300 block of Chaucer Avenue.
Firefighters said the fire was contained to a bedroom in one of the four units in the building.
No injuries were reported.
Juan Torres said he lives in the affected unit with his wife and baby. Torres said he was pulling out of the parking lot when he saw his loved ones standing outside in the cold. He returned, and when he opened the door to his unit, smoke poured out of the structure.
Torres said his wife thinks that the fire was started by a space heater.
"I haven't been able to go inside yet," Torres said as he watched an arson unit conduct its investigation.
San Antonio Fire Department Battalion Chief Thomas McNulty said his team did a good job in putting the fire out in 10 minutes.
"They do what we do. We stretch lines, search and put out the fire," McNulty said.
Damage was estimated at $5,000.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.