87ºF

Campfire put out incorrectly sparks grass fire, firefighters say

Fire occurred just before 6 a.m. in the 18500 block of Donop Rd

SAN ANTONIO – A campfire not put out correctly was to blame for a large grass fire early Thursday morning, firefighters said.

The fire occurred just before 6 a.m. in the 18500 block of Donop Road inside a canyon area along a private road not far from Braunig Lake in Southeast Bexar County.

Firefighters said the man who lives there admitted he had a campfire in his backyard Wednesday night and that he thought the fire was put out.

The man's wife however woke to tell him the nearby canyon was on fire, firefighters said. Both the man and his wife along with their baby made it out of the back of their home safely.

Firefighters said the man tried to pour water on the fire until help arrived. The fire did cause minor damage to the back exterior of the home.

No one was hurt.


About the Authors: