Blow dryer sparks apartment fire on NW Side

Fire damages two units at Wellington Estate Apartments on Callaghan Road

SAN ANTONIO – A blow dryer set off a fire Friday morning at an apartment complex on the city's Northwest Side.

The fire was reported around 8 a.m. at the Wellington Estate Apartments in the 6600 block of Callaghan Road.

"I was using my hairdryer and my plug started to smoke. So I hurried up and unplugged the blow dryer out of the wall," tenant Sierra Ray said. "My light switch turned off, all my lights started going off. When my light switch went off, it just started blowing out black smoke, and in like two seconds, the whole house just like smoked out. It was bad."

Ray and two other tenants escaped the unit safely.

Firefighters said there was heavy smoke and smoldering, and they didn't see any flames until they broke through the apartment walls.

Two units were affected, but no one lived in the other unit.

A damage estimate wasn't immediately known.


About the Authors: