SAN ANTONIO – A 7-year-old boy has undergone surgery after being wounded in a drive-by shooting in his east side neighborhood.
San Antonio police responded to the 300 block of Charcliff Drive shortly before 7 a.m. Monday and found two homes, as well as several vehicles, had been hit by gunfire.
"We don't know the exact number of shots fired. There were reports of up to 16,” said San Antonio police Sgt. Mario Ramirez.
Ramirez said the 7-year-old was asleep inside one of the homes when gunfire tore into his home. He suffered at least one, possibly two, gunshots to his left arm, police said.
A 44-year-old man who lives next door narrowly escaped injury.
That man told officers he felt one of the gunshots tear into the mattress where he was sleep. He was not injured.
Investigators spent nearly two hours collecting evidence, including more than a dozen shell casings, from the scene.
They also attempted to question people in the neighborhood but said they did not get far.
"We have no witnesses coming forward to give us any details about suspects or vehicles involved and direction of flight," Ramirez said. "We're still investigating details or anything else prior that might have led up to this shooting. Right now, we don't have much to go on. "
Anyone who has information is asked to call SAPD’s homicide unit at 210-207-7635, or Crime Stoppers at 210-224-STOP (7867).
Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.
Sign up today. It's Free.