Man in custody after hours-long Northwest Side standoff
SAN ANTONIO – A man is in police custody after an hours-long standoff Saturday at a home on the Northwest Side came to an end.
Police and the SWAT team had been outside the home on Lively Drive, near Vance Jackson Road, since noon.
No one was hurt in the standoff. Police said they are still trying to sort out details to determine if it was a hostage situation or if the people inside the home voluntarily stayed with the 32-year-old suspect.
Police said they received a call for shots fired around noon. Investigators said the suspect, Jose Perez, got into an argument with an underage girl outside the house.
“There were shots fired from a pistol that he was in possession of, say witnesses. He went back into the house. The girl went with him. Supposedly, there was the mother, the brother, the girlfriend, or the juvenile, and the suspect,” San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said.
It’s unclear what sparked the argument.
Perez is facing one charge of aggravated assault, but police said additional charges could be filed once the investigation is completed.
Neighbors said they were not surprised by the activity, because police have responded to the same home multiple times. Authorities said this is not their first encounter with Perez.
Police are trying to determine if the underage girl is a runaway.
Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT 12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.
Sign up today. It's Free.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.