72ºF

Explosion, fire damages West Side home

Gasoline cans stored near water heater blamed for fire on Breeds Hill, SAFD says

SAN ANTONIO – An explosion and fire heavily damaged a home Monday morning on the city's West Side.

San Antonio fire battalion Chief Walter Yates said gasoline cans stored too close to a water heater in a garage were blamed for the fire that was reported at 8:30 a.m. in the 10500 block of Breeds Hill.

Yates said the garage and a portion of the attic were destroyed by fire, but the rest of the home sustained smoke and water damage and is unlivable.

He said residents need to use caution when storing flammable substances.

"Typically what happens is, when you have that kind of explosion, or the gas vapors catch fire, your hot water heater cycles. When it cycles, the flames get going. When the flames get going, they're looking for any vapors or anything. So those gas vapors just catch. It's going to flash back to the source," Yates said.

A family of three and their pets safely escaped the home.

The Red Cross will help the family find a temporary place to live and provide other immediate needs.

--------------------------------------------------------

Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.

Sign up today. It's Free.

 

 


About the Author: