56ºF

1 transported to hospital after small explosion reported

Incident occurred in 200 block of East Elmira St

SAN ANTONIO

One man was taken to the hospital after a small explosion was reported north of downtown.

The explosion happened at a home in the 200 block of East Elmira Street on Thursday night.

The San Antonio Fire Department said arson investigators are looking into three different water heaters in the home, one of which exploded. Residents said they had been smelling natural gas inside the home for the last few days. 

The explosion destroyed the back of the home. 

The man was taken to the San Antonio Military Medical Center with burns. His condition is unknown, but a sergeant at the scene said the man may have lost some fingers. Other inhabitants had minor injuries and were treated at the scene.

The explosion happened at a home that has been divided into nine apartments, two of which were unoccupied. One man said he was lying in bed when everything exploded around him.

The Public Works Department is looking for structural damage to the home and will determine if it will need to be bulldozed.

--------------------------------------------------------

Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT 12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.

Sign up today. It's Free.


About the Authors: