BEXAR COUNTY – The Bexar County Fire Marshal said improperly discarded fireworks were behind an early morning fire in northern Bexar County on Wednesday.
Fire Marshal Louis Chris Lopez III said the residents threw some fireworks debris into the trash, which smoldered inside the garage.
The fire was reported around 3 a.m. in the 3600 block of Sweet Olive, found not far from Highway 281 and Wilderness Oak.
Firefighters said when they arrived they found the flames engulfing the home. It took roughly an hour to put the fire out.
Officials said four people, including two children, were inside the home at the time of the fire but they all made it out safely.
Residents said the neighborhood goes all out for July 4.
"It sounded like a war zone,” said Tom Bianco. “I mean, there was explosions, aerial bombs, lots of kids and some adults out in the street."
While Bexar County can’t enact any restrictions on fireworks outside of a burn ban, per state law, the homeowners association for the development does forbid their use.
“No firearms or fireworks may be discharged within the development,” according to the Indian Springs HOA guidelines. There's no punishment specified, but the management company said it could mean a fine up to $500.
At this time, there is no damage estimate, but the home is considered to be a total loss.
Neighbors have already banded together to help the family. Some planned to gather at the neighborhood pavilion to accept gift cards and monetary donations for the family from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.
Sign up today. It's Free.