52ºF

Fire department warning parents to check where kids charge their phones

53 percent of kids, teens charge their devices under pillows, in bed

NEWTON, New Hampshire – A New Hampshire fire department put out a warning about a seemingly simple day-to-day task that can possibly injure you, or burn down your home -- charging your phone.

According to the Newton Fire Department, 53 percent of kids and teens charge their phones and iPads under their pillows or in bed. This, however, is a fire hazard.

"The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter," the department said in a Facebook post. "The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire."

The simple mistake "places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger."

The fire department said you can avoid injuries by checking where you and your family members charge their mobile devices.

Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow....

Posted by Newton NH Fire Department on Tuesday, June 27, 2017

--------------------------------------------------------

Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.

Sign up today. It's Free.