4-year-old rescued from smoke-filled room during fire in NE Bexar County

Crews say fire caused by child playing with lighter


SAN ANTONIO – A four-year-old child was rescued after becoming trapped in a room full of smoke in Northeast Bexar County.

The fire started just before 6 p.m. Friday at a home on Monte Cristo.

When fire crews arrived, the fire had already been extinguished, but there was heavy smoke.

Bexar County Sheriff's deputies also responded and rescued the child from the home.

The child, along with some family members, were checked out at the scene and are all OK.

Fire crews said it appeared the fire was caused by a child playing with a lighter. There is about $10,000 in damage.


Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT 12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.

Sign up today. It's Free.