48ºF

Nixon fire chief critically injured in freak accident

Mark Mendez shocked by high-voltage power line on Friday

NIXON, Texas – Dozens of people poured out from a gazebo near the Nixon Fire Department on Sunday with one thing on their minds: their chief.

Everyone there was hoping the power of prayer would help lift up Nixon Volunteer Fire Chief Mark Mendez.

"He is the brother that some don't have, and also a father figure to many young children in the community," fellow volunteer firefighter Hector Dominguez said.

On Friday, Mendez suffered a freak accident while responding to a grass fire on Highway 87, about 2 miles west of Nixon.

Mendez came in contact with a high-voltage electrical wire. He survived the volts of electricity that rushed through his body, but was badly injured.

"It’s unreal how much everybody around here wants him to get better,” Ken Colwell, with the Gonzales County EMS, said. “It's like losing a family member to everyone."

Those who know and love Mendez said he's more than just a fire chief, he's a family man and also a staple in the local community.

"Mark is a trustee on our school board here in Nixon. He's also the president of the Gonzales County Firefighters Association and a coach here for the youth league for Nixon football," Dominguez said.

Now, Mendez's loved ones hope the community can do something for him.

"The biggest support that we're asking is just to keep him in your prayers," Dominguez said.

As of Sunday night, Mendez remained in critical but stable condition at San Antonio Military Medical Center.

--------------------------------------------------------

Don't miss a thing. Get email alerts from KSAT 12 today.
Get alerted to news events as they happen or sign up for a scheduled news headline email that is delivered right to your inbox. Breaking news, severe weather, daily forecasts, entertainment news, all of the day’s important events to keep you up to date wherever you are.

Sign up today. It's Free.


About the Author: