37ºF

Neighbor calls for closure of Von Ormy strip club involved in drive-by shooting

No one hit by gunfire sprayed at MGM Cabaret

SAN ANTONIO – At least one man who lives in the neighborhood near a Von Ormy strip club that was the target of a drive-by shooting said he wants to see the business shut down.

Someone took aim at MGM Cabaret around 4 a.m. Tuesday, spraying the front of the business with more than a dozen gunshots.

No one inside the business was hit by the gunfire, but an employee did suffer a minor cut from flying glass, according to a report from the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office.

The report said the shooter took off in a car.

Investigators at the scene had not identified the reason for the shooting. However, they noted that there had been an incident several hours earlier in which someone was thrown out of the club.

David Alvarez, who lives nearby, said he has seen trouble at the business before.

“We don’t want it there,” he said. “I don't have anything against them making money or trying to make a living however they want. But where they have it at, that's the problem. "

The business, located near Interstate 35 and Benton City Road, is just steps away from a post office that neighborhood children use as a school bus stop.

Alvarez said he’d like to see the strip club relocate.

"They can go put one, probably, in the middle of the woods where there’s nobody. No kids are around,” Alvarez said. “Then, whatever happens, happens."

Alvarez said he has called upon the city for help several times in the past, but so far has had no luck.

KSAT 12 News reached out to the mayor of Von Ormy, Sally Martinez. She answered our calls with a couple of written statements.

The most comprehensive statement reads as follows:

“Since taking office in May the new City Commissioners and I have been working diligently to address this issue.  While the Bexar County Sheriff provides primary law enforcement in Von Ormy, the City Commission has completed a police station and applied to the State for a local police department that will provide additional law enforcement to supplement the BCSO.  The application was filed last month and the new station was inspected a couple of weeks ago.  We are told the process will take another month at least to process.  We have also started the process of zoning in order to pass a sexually oriented business ordinance similar to the one in San Antonio.  A commercial building moratorium was put in place to prevent new SOBs from being established in the interim.  Much has taken place in the three months since taking office, but it will take a few months more to get everything finalized and in place for stricter enforcement.  Meanwhile we are working with BCSO to address any issues that arise.  Residents can be assured that the city has taken swift and meaningful actions to address their concerns.”

Martinez, however, declined to answer specific questions posed to her about MGM Cabaret.


About the Author: