67ºF

Candle fire destroys east side home

Homeowner fell asleep, left candle unattended

photo

SAN ANTONIO – Firefighters said an unattended candle destroyed a Far East Side home on Friday.

Firefighters were dispatched to the 5000 block of Lakewood Drive just before 6 p.m. for a house fire. 

Authorities said a man lit a candle and fell asleep. When he awoke, his house was in flames. 

First responders suspect the candle fell over while the man was sleeping and spread to his living room, attic and other parts of his home. 

The homeowner escaped from the house unscathed, but authorities estimate his home is a total loss with more than $40,000 in damages.