Schools make top 3 in list of locations where most hate crimes take place
Churches also make list of locations
SAN ANTONIO – The FBI has compiled a list of places where the most hate crimes are reported.
This list doesn’t include cyberspace, which is collected via the National Incident-Based Reporting System.
- 27.3 percent of hate crime incidents occurred in or near homes.
- 18.4 percent took place on roads, alleys or sidewalks.
- 9.9 percent happened at schools
- 5.7 percent took place in parking lots or parking garages.
- 3.9 percent occurred in buildings for religious practice.
- 2.3 percent took place in restaurants.
- 1.9 percent occurred in commercial office buildings.
- 1.8 percent took place in government or publicly owned buildings.
- 1.6 percent occurred at parks or playgrounds.
- 1.6 percent happened in bars or nightclubs.
- 1.4 percent took place in convenience stores.
- 1 percent took place in drug stores', doctors’ offices or hospitals.
- 10.3 percent of hate crimes occurred in the remaining specified location categories or in multiple locations. (Read more on that here.)
- 12.7 percent took place in other/unknown locations.
The FBI defines a hate crime as a traditional offense like murder, arson or vandalism with an added element of bias, according to FBI.gov.
When collecting data for the annual report, the term bias covers race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender or gender identity.
The FBI has gathered and published hate crime statistics annually since 1992.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.