SAN ANTONIO – Fire destroyed a home early Monday on the city's West Side.
The fire was reported just after 5 a.m. in a cul-de-sac in the 500 block of Riverdale Drive.
San Antonio fire Chief Charles Hood said one of the residents woke up his brother after he and his mother woke up to the flames.
"[He heard] the crashing and the heavy smoke, went in and woke his brother up and got him out. So chances are, he probably saved his brother's life," Hood said.
Two of the residents were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, Hood said.
Flames shot high into the sky, causing the second floor to collapse and leave a gaping hole in the roof, Hood said.
Robert Martinez watched the fire from his home at the end of the long block.
"It was huge, like you could see from right here," Martinez said.
"I [felt] the fumes coming from across the street. That's how big the fire was. It was bad," said Daniel Lopez, who lives right across the street from the two-story home.
With homes in the neighborhood close to each other, firefighters were worried about the fire spreading to nearby homes. The roof of the home next door was singed, Hood said.
Because the home is at the end of the street, logistics were a problem for the firefighters, as evidenced by the long line of fire trucks.
"Very difficult access, very long run, congested street," Hood said.
Damage to the home was estimated at $120,000.
Arson is investigating.
The family's pet Chihuahua also made it out the home safely.