45ºF

Possible gas leak leads to partial home explosion

Man lit candle, room blew up, firefighters say

photo

SAN ANTONIO – Investigators believe a gas leak and subsequent explosion caused a house fire on the city's North Side on Monday night.

The fire occurred just before 7 p.m. in the 2100 block of Lime Blossom Street. That's near the intersection of Starcrest Drive and Jones Maltsberger Road.

Firefighters said a man in his 50s suffered burns on his face, hands and arms. He was taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center and is expected to be OK. The homeowner told firefighters that he and his wife had been smelling gas for a week but did not report it.

The room exploded when the man lit a candle in a back office. The walls and foundation were also blown out.

Firefighters remind people that as soon as someone smells gas call CPS Energy to report it.