What you need to know before using fireworks this year

Fireworks now on sale outside city limits

Photo does not have a caption

SAN ANTONIO – Fourth of July is only days away, so here's a reminder of what you can and can't do when it comes to fireworks: 

  • You are not allowed to light fireworks within city limits.
  • You are not allowed to transport fireworks within city limits.
  • Keep water or an extinguisher nearby to extinguish any possible flames.
  • Only set fireworks off outdoors.
  • Follow instructions.
  • Don't drink and set off fireworks.
  • Have an adult present and never give fireworks to children.
  • Never re‐light “dud” fireworks. If a firework does not work, wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water and dispose of it properly.
  • Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
  • Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
  • Do not shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.

Right now in Bexar County, there is only a burn ban in effect on outdoor burning in unincorporated Bexar County. 

“Because there have been more than 300 grass fires within Bexar County since the beginning of the year, I would like to thank the participating fireworks vendors who have proactively taken these extra precautionary measures,” Bexar County Fire Marshal Chris Lopez stated in a news release. “With conditions as dry as they are, I urge the public to please exercise extreme caution when setting off fireworks. The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to watch a public display put on by professionals.”

The Bexar County fire marshal said it is illegal to discharge fireworks withing 600 feet of a hospital, sanitarium, veterinary hospital, school or church and within 100 feet of a fuel dispensing station.

Anyone caught recklessly handling fireworks or starting fires could face arson charges, the fire marshal said.

There is a fireworks hotline to report illegal or unsafe use of fireworks. The number to call is (210) 335-FIRE (3473). If an actual medical or fire emergency results from fireworks, however, residents should instead call 911.

About the Author: