Report reveals new details in deadly fire that claimed life of woman, 5-year-old grandson
Child would have celebrated 6th birthday Tuesday
ALAMO HEIGHTS, Texas – UPDATE: New details have been released in a deadly house fire in Alamo Heights that killed a woman and her 5-year-old grandson last month.
A new report said there was heat and heavy smoke damage throughout the house. The fire reportedly started in a bedroom at the home on Inslee Avenue.
Two cigarette butts were found on the floor and there was an empty cigarette carton on the bed.
The fire killed Joanne Cyr and her grandson, Luke.
Firefighters say there were no smoke detectors found in the home.
A woman and her 5-year-old grandson who died after a house fire in Alamo Heights Sunday night have been identified.
Officials with Howard Early Childhood Center, where the child went to school, sent an email to parents Monday identifying the boy as Luke Cyr and his grandmother and guardian as Joanne Cyr. Alamo Heights Fire Chief Buddy Kuhn said the child would have celebrated his 6th birthday on Tuesday.
Firefighters who were responding to the fire around 10:30 p.m. first noticed smoke coming from the back of the home, located at the corner of Inslee Avenue and Columbine Street.
Kuhn said firefighters entered the home and found Luke, then Cyr. Firefighters attempted resuscitation efforts on the child, but he and his grandmother died at San Antonio Military Medical Center overnight. Kuhn said both suffered severe burns.
"It doesn't take a lot of those conditions to really affect someone quickly," Kuhn said.
Kuhn said there were no working smoke detectors in the house.
In an email sent to parents at Luke's school, officials said the pair died in their sleep.
"The firemen said they died in their sleep and went peacefully," the letter states. "(Luke's godmother) was so thankful that they attended church together yesterday and Luke received his birthday blessing. He had a very happy day."
Kuhn said he is awaiting confirmation from other fire officials before releasing the cause of the fire.
Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.