Elderly couple escape house fire on South Side
SAN ANTONIO – A couple made it out of their home safely after a fire erupted on the South Side on Sunday morning.
Crews responded to the fire in the 200 block of Avondale Road.
Fire officials said the elderly couple heard an explosion before they made it out of the home.
The white exterior of the home is now stained with black smoke damage, and the metal railings on windows were left with nothing to protect.
Fire officials estimated the damage to the home to be $100,000.
"We're not exactly sure where or what started it. Obviously, wintertime like this, space heater is always an issue," said Ryan Bippert, fire battalion chief.
Officials don't believe there was foul play.
Copyright 2019 by KSAT - All rights reserved.