53ºF

Firefighters put out gas meter fire at home near St. Mary's University

Fire was called in just after 7 a.m. in 3100 block of Culebra Road

photo

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio firefighters responded to a fire at a home on the city's Northwest Side early Tuesday morning.

The fire broke out just before 7:30 a.m. in the 3100 block of Culebra Road, across from St. Mary's University.

Firefighters said they were able to contain the fire, which originated in a gas meter outside the home, just before it made its way inside.

To tap into the nearest fire hydrant, firefighters had to stretch their hose across Culebra Road, shutting down a stretch of the street.

Fire officials said they were able to shut off the gas and put out the flames.

According to the San Antonio Fire Department website, as many as nine units originally answered the call.

No one was hurt and damage to the house was minimal.

photo

About the Authors: