62ºF

Two Bexar County Jail inmates mistakenly sent to state prison, sheriff's office confirms

Arrangements made to take inmates back to jail

SAN ANTONIO – Two Bexar County Jail inmates were mistakenly sent to state prison Thursday, the sheriff's office confirmed.

The inmates were initially on the list of people set to be transferred to the prison, Deputy Johnny Garcia said, the sheriff's office spokesperson. Those lists were sent out on Sept. 16 and Sept. 20.

The inmates' names were removed from the list jailers received on Monday, however. Jailers were using an older transport list, Garcia said.

RELATED: Sheriff investigating erroneous inmate releases as potential sabotage by frustrated jail staff

"Booking protocols have been revised to correct the shortcomings of the paper driven process which has been in place through several administrations," Garcia said.

The inmates were identified as Fernando Zanco and Adrian Garza. Records show Zanco is jailed for a drug charge, while Garza is in jail for continuous violence against a family member.

The sheriff's office has made arrangements to pick up the inmates and take them back to the jail, Garcia said. They will still be transferred to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice facility at a later date.

The Texas Commission on Jail Standards has been notified of the incident, Garcia said.

The mistakes come after a troubled month for the sheriff's office. Two inmates were mistakenly released earlier this month and rearrested.

Because of those issues, the sheriff's office placed three sergeants on a 10-day administrative leave while administrators work on fixing the recurring problem.

CLICK HERE IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE VIEWING THIS TIMELINE


About the Authors:

Dillon Collier

Dillon is a Houston Press Club Journalist of the Year and Texas Associated Press Broadcasters Reporter of the Year. His relentless work includes uncovering the misuse of funds within a local housing authority and prompting a congressional inquiry at Fort Sam Houston.

Fares Sabawi

Fares Sabawi has been a journalist in San Antonio for three years. He has covered several topics, but focuses on crime, courts and record requests the most. He also has a recurring appearance on KSAT News at 9's Trending Now segment.