10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. BREXIT CLOSER AFTER TORY MAJORITY IN ELECTION Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party wins a decisive majority of seats in Britain's Parliament — an outcome that should pave the way for Brexit to become a reality.
2. ‘IT IS NOW VERY LATE AT NIGHT’ House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler abruptly postpones a historic vote on articles of impeachment against President Trump, drawing gasps and incredulity from Republicans.
3. ANOTHER OPIOID CRISIS RAGES Mass abuse of the drug tramadol spans continents, from India to Africa to the Middle East, prompting some countries to ask international authorities to intervene.
4. NEW ZEALAND RECOVERS BODIES FROM VOLCANIC ISLAND Grieving families sing traditional Maori songs as New Zealand military specialists go to White Island to recover six bodies of the 16 people who died in an eruption.
5. DEMOCRATS SHOW CRACKS IN UNITY Elizabeth Warren and Pete Buttigieg are locked in an increasingly acrimonious feud that threatens to change the tone of the Democratic primary.
6. VETS READY TO REMEMBER BATTLE OF THE BULGE Veterans will mix with royalty and dignitaries in Belgium and Luxembourg to commemorate the 75th anniversary of perhaps the greatest battle in U.S. military history.
7. CONGRESS SEEKS FBI SURVEILLANCE CHANGES Lawmakers in both parties say they want changes in the government's surveillance powers after abuses were disclosed in a watchdog's report on the FBI's Russia investigation.
8. ‘THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST SEASON’ With Christmas less than two weeks away, inventory is tight for real Christmas trees across the U.S., especially for procrastinators looking for a certain type of tree.
9. OLIVIA WILDE DEFENDS 'JEWELL' REPORTER ROLE The actress says she does not believe the real-life journalist she plays in the new film “Richard Jewel” “traded sex for tips" despite that insinuation in the movie.
10. RAVENS CLINCH DIVISION TITLE Lamar Jackson further makes his case for NFL MVP after throwing five touchdown passes and Baltimore clinches the AFC North by beating the New York Jets 42-21.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.