Air Force: Lapse in Kelley case was part of pattern

By ROBERT BURNS, AP National Security Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Air Force says its failure to report the criminal history of the former airman who killed 26 people at a Texas church in early November was part of a pattern of such lapses.

Family that lost 9 in church shooting files wrongful death claims against Air Force

But it's not yet clear how widespread it was.

In a statement Tuesday, the Air Force blamed failures in "training and compliance measures" for the lapse involving Devin P. Kelley, who had been convicted of assaulting his wife and stepson in 2012. The fingerprint card and the report on the outcome of his court martial were not submitted to the FBI by Air Force personnel at Kelley's base in New Mexico. If reported, this information should have stopped him from buying weapons.

The Air Force says it has taken corrective actions to prevent such reporting lapses.

The announcement from the military also happened to occur on the same day an attorney representing the Holcombe family -- who lost nine family members in the Sutherland Springs shooting -- announced the family filed wrongful death claims against the U.S. Air Force on Tuesday.

Claryce Holcombe and Joe Holcombe filed on behalf of their son Bryan Holcombe who was among the 26 people killed in the Texas church shooting.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.