SAN ANTON IO - Police, members of the military and even civilians have been working together to save lives and, at the same time, honor a San Antonio police officer who recently lost his life.
They took part in a blood drive Monday morning in memory of Bobby Deckard, the 31-year-old SAPD officer who died Friday as the result of a shooting earlier this month.
- Injured SAPD officer passes away; suspects formally charged
- Blood drive scheduled Monday for slain SAPD officer Robert Deckard
- Family of SAPD Officer Bobby Deckard release second statement
- SAPD: Injured officer's survival odds 'slim'
- SAPD: Officer Robert Deckard vitals 'somewhat unstable'
- Fund established for SAPD Officer Bobby Deckard
- Pair held in officer's shooting tied to 3 robberies
- Poth police chief describes officer's role in shootout
- SAPD: Injured officer stabilized further
- Wounded SAPD Officer Robert Deckard remains in intensive care
- SAPD officer shot in head pursuing robbery suspects
Deckard was shot in the head Dec. 8 as he chased after two robbery suspects -- a chase that led him to Atascosa County.
Shawn Ruiz Puente, 32, and Jenevieve Ramos, 28, were arrested later in Wilson County.
"Bobby's loss is just an unbelievable shock. It has been an unbelievable shock to the department and the city," said Chief William McManus, one of several SAPD members who showed up to donate.
"(Deckard) was an all-American cop. He was a good guy. He was a hard worker. He treated people right," McManus said.
The blood drive was held at the Akeroyd Blood Center at Joint Base San Antonio Fort Sam Houston.
Sgt. Javier Salazar, spokesman for SAPD, said the location was no coincidence.
He said after the shooting, Deckard was treated at San Antonio Military Medical Center.
Even before his death, he said, the police department planned to hold a blood drive as a way to thank the military and help replenish the hospital's blood supply.
"This effort today shows that connection (between the police department and the military) and it's a strong one," said McManus.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.