3-year-old girl: 'Fire woke me up'

Family credits youngest child with alerting them to house fire on Spruce Street

By Ben Spicer - Web Producer, Sarah Acosta - Reporter, David Ibanez - Web - Managing Editor

SAN ANTONIO - A 3-year-old girl is being credited with alerting her family Friday morning to their house catching fire.

"Fire woke me up," Eva Harris said to KSAT 12 News.

Eva then alerted her 10-year-old brother, Mario Desoto, to the fiery danger.

"I saw fire, my sister was screaming, and I grabbed her and I went to their room and I opened the door hard and I told them (parents) there was a fire," Mario said.

The children's parents got them to safety. No one was injured in the fire reported at 6 a.m. in the 400 block of Spruce Street on the city's East Side.

San Antonio Fire Department Battalion Chief Tony Rodriguez said the fire started in a window of the children's bedroom after an electrical outlet of an air conditioning unit overheated.

Rodriguez said overloaded electrical sockets are a common occurrence.

"Make sure that your combustibles are moved away from electrical sockets and outlets, and that your actual sockets aren't overloaded with a bunch of appliances plugged in," he said.

Monica Desoto said she's proud of both of her children.

"I told my son immediately when he came out that he did great. Both of them did good," Desoto said.

Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.