SAHA residents sickened after holiday celebration

Dozens of people being investigated for illness

SAN ANTONIO - An event for the San Antonio Housing Authority’s elderly and disabled is now being investigated after several people reported being sickened after eating the food that was served.

The event was hosted by the Education Investment Foundation, a nonprofit that administers SAHA's scholarship program. SAHA said 950 people attended the annual Golden Gala this year.

Both SAHA and the health department are keeping a tight lid on information, but one resident is sharing his story.

“The people was wonderful. The food was wonderful,” James Hamilton said, “when I first ate it."

Hamilton said it did not take long for the food to make him ill.

“I started walking down the hallway to my apartment and I didn’t make it,” he said. “I got very sick before I even made it inside the door."

The gala was held Friday at the Freeman Coliseum and the menu was a traditional holiday mix. Less than 48 hours later, Hamilton said he was in the hospital.

“I was told by the doctor that Metro Health was interviewing a lot of people because there was other people sick," he said.

In a statement SAHA said:

Upon being made aware of a potential food borne illness ... prompt medical attention was provided by the San Antonio Fire Department EMS and medical personnel from Southwest Texas Regional Advisory Council for a number of people affected with gastrointestinal symptoms.

The housing authority would not disclose who prepared and provided the food.

The whole situation has left a bad taste in Hamilton’s mouth. “Getting food poisoning is one thing,” he said, “but them not telling the public that it happened is another thing altogether."

Metro Health Statement on SAHA Potential Food Poisoning by Ivan Herrera on Scribd

Copyright 2016 by KSAT - All rights reserved.