SAN ANTONIO – A far North Side sushi restaurant was cited earlier this month after an inspector noted a lack of hand-washing among staff and drain flies in areas of the kitchen.
Sushi Express, in the 19900 block of Stone Oak Parkway, was given a score of 84 after racking up a list of violations that also included a scoop being submerged in a soy sauce bucket.
Food safety rules require scoops to have a handle and be up and out of the food item.
The San Antonio Metropolitan Health District's scoring of food establishments is based on a 100-point demerit system.
The inspection reports, which establishments are required to post in public view, feature a number score at the top and bottom of the front page. A separate placard with the number score and a letter grade (example: 100/A) is also available upon request from the food establishment. Posting the placard is voluntary.
- 100-90 = A (Very Good to Acceptable)
- 89-80 = B (Acceptable to Marginal)
- 79 or lower = C (Marginal to Poor)
- Metro Health indicates that scores of 69 or lower are failing scores.
Other scores this week:
- Cappalletti's, 226 W. Bitters Rd., 100
- Tropical Smoothie Café, 9222 Potranco Rd., 100
- Wingstop, 1107 San Pedro Ave., 100
- Menchie's Frozen Yogurt, 5619 W. FM 1604 North, 99
- Chipotle Mexican Grill, 849 E. Commerce St., 97
- Emma's Taco House, 5282 Medical Dr., 97
- Yatzil Mexican Restaurant, 502 S. Zarzamora St., 97
- Heavenly Gourmet, 5005 West Ave., 96
- Bamboo, 1010 S. Flores St., 95
- Santos Mexican Café, 603 Isom Rd., 95
- Taquitos El Dorado, 3423 Pleasanton Rd., 95
- Bud Jones Café, 1440 SW Military Dr., 94
- Cici's Pizza, 6900 San Pedro Ave., 93
- Silo Restaurant & Bar, 1133 Austin Hwy., 93
- Scuzzi's Italian Restaurant, 24165 IH 10 West, 93
- Luciano Pizzeria, 7400 San Pedro Ave., 92
- La Cazadora, 3213 West Vae., 91
- Mexico Taco, 203 S. General McMullen, 90
- Jimmy John's, 8015 Callaghan Rd., 88
- Sushi Express, 19903 Stone Oak Pkwy., 84
For food establishment complaints in the city of San Antonio, send an email to Metro Health or call 210-207-8853.