Medical expert explains coronavirus impact on Texans, search for vaccine
KSAT.com livestreamed the event
SAN ANTONIO – A medical expert will discuss how the novel coronavirus is affecting Texans during a Thursday event in Austin.
KSAT.com will livestream the conversation between Dr. Peter Hotez and the Texas Tribune in this article. The virtual event is expected to begin at 8 a.m. If there is not a livestream currently available, check back in a few minutes.
Hotez is a vaccine expert and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. He will speak with the Texas Tribune’s Edgar Walters, who reports on health and human services.
Hotez and Walters will discuss which Texans are the most at risk during the outbreak and the pressure on scientists to develop a vaccine.
The event is held by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas, Community Health Choice and Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas.
COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the new virus, stands for coronavirus disease 2019. The disease first appeared in late 2019 in Wuhan, China, but spread around the world in early 2020, causing the World Health Organization to declare a pandemic in March.
MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE FROM KSAT:
- Explained: San Antonio, Bexar County issue ‘Stay Home, Work Safe’ order. Here’s what that means.
- Here’s what we know about the confirmed COVID-19 cases in San Antonio
- Map: Track COVID-19 cases in Texas, county-by-county updates
- These are all the Texas cities and counties that have issued stay-at-home orders
- ‘We have community transmission now.’ Bexar County changes tactics from containment to mitigation
- Unemployment claims are soaring. What to do if you lose your job
- Map: Where San Antonio-area students can find free school meals during closures
- Texas governor bans dine-in eating, gatherings of 10+ through April 3
- SAQ: Your coronavirus questions answered
- Explained: New declarations of emergency issued in San Antonio and Bexar County
- 8 ways to help your fellow San Antonians during coronavirus pandemic
- The ultimate coronavirus guide: From preparedness and prevention to testing and treatment
- Track live coronavirus updates in the US, globally with real-time maps of confirmed cases, deaths
- Social distancing and hungry? These San Antonio-area restaurants are offering To-Go deals
- Resources from World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, City of San Antonio
Copyright 2020 by KSAT - All rights reserved.