PTSD Foundation of America San Antonio moves services online amid coronavirus pandemic
Local nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting combat veterans, first responders and their families with PTSD moves meetings online
SAN ANTONIO – The coronavirus pandemic has put a halt on services from several organizations, but the PTSD Foundation of America has found a workaround to help veterans in need of their help.
Since mid-March, the group dedicated to supporting combat veterans, first responders and their families with PTSD moved its meetings online.
Cody Full, San Antonio chapter manager of PTSD Foundation of America, said they have daily one-on-one peer support and counseling, weekly group therapy sessions and refer people to other networks that could assist them.
Full said these meetings might be the only communication veterans have with others.
Retired Chief Warrant Officer Lucas Hamrick said he joined the group a few months ago, and it has changed his life.
Hamrick said veterans don’t have to go through the stress and anxiety caused by the coronavirus pandemic alone.
“Everybody dealing with these same, similar circumstances, whether it be seeing someone get hurt or getting injured themselves, it’s not your burden to bear on your own,” Hamrick said.
MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE FROM KSAT:
- Everything we know about the coronavirus cases in Bexar County
- H-E-B partner confirmed positive for COVID-19, store officials say
- As Texas mayor orders closures, daughter gets COVID-19
- Infected staff at nursing home with 75 COVID-19 patients worked at other San Antonio facilities
- Explained: San Antonio, Bexar County issue ‘Stay Home, Work Safe’ order. Here’s what that means.
- Track coronavirus cases by ZIP, age in San Antonio with interactive map
- Map: Track COVID-19 cases in Texas, county-by-county updates
- SAQ: Your coronavirus questions answered
- A guide to unemployment benefits for Texans laid off during coronavirus pandemic
- Map: Where San Antonio-area students can find free school meals during closures
- 8 ways to help your fellow San Antonians during coronavirus pandemic
- Track live coronavirus updates in the US, globally with real-time maps of confirmed cases, deaths
- The ultimate coronavirus guide: From preparedness and prevention to testing and treatment
- ’SA Food 2 Go:’ Search nearby restaurants offering to-go, delivery around San Antonio
- Resources from World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, City of San Antonio
Copyright 2020 by KSAT - All rights reserved.