Family of 4 displaced after water heater causes overnight fire, SAFD says

Fire was called in around 1:15 a.m. in 900 block of West Winnipeg Avenue

A family of four has been displaced following an overnight fire early Thursday morning, the San Antonio Fire Department said.

SAN ANTONIO – A family of four has been displaced following an overnight fire early Thursday morning, the San Antonio Fire Department said.

The fire was called in around 1:15 a.m. in the 900 block of West Winnipeg Avenue, not far from Division Avenue on the city’s South Side.

Firefighters said a water heater caused an exterior fire that then made its way into the kitchen. The fire was put out quickly and without incident.

Fire officials said the family’s older sons live on the other side of the duplex. Their home had smoke damage as a result of the fire.

Firefighters successfully rescued several pets from the duplex. They were not hurt.

Damage to the home is estimated around $25,000. No injuries were reported.


About the Author:

Ben Spicer is a digital journalist who works the early morning shift for KSAT.