SAN ANTONIO - A 47-year-old man who pleaded guilty in March for his role in the human smuggling operation that resulted in the death of 10 immigrants has been sentenced to nine years in federal prison.
Pedro Silva Segura was handed his prison sentence Wednesday. The prison term will be followed by five years of supervised release.
On March 8, Segura pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to transport undocumented immigrants resulting in death.
Segura admitted to operating a stash house in Laredo, where five immigrants left on the night of July 22, 2017, in a tractor-trailer driven by James Matthew Bradley Jr., 61, which was bound for San Antonio.
Several hours later, San Antonio police responded just after midnight to a Walmart on the city's South Side where they found 39 immigrants standing and lying near the trailer, federal officials said.
RELATED: Mexican official who assisted in deadly human smuggling case reflects on incident 1 year later
Of the 39 immigrants, officers discovered eight of them dead in the trailer. Two of them later died at local hospitals.
Federal officials said there were also four juveniles, ages of 14-17, among the 39 immigrants found that night.
The immigrants told authorities they estimated about 70 to 200 people were inside the trailer during the transport, according to court records.
On Oct. 16, 2017, Bradley pleaded guilty to federal charges in connection with the deadly smuggling operation. He was sentenced earlier this year to life in prison without parole.
Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.