Pizza deliveryman murder suspect already on probation

Robert Carlos Delcid, 35, had prior car theft arrest

By Katrina Webber - Crime Fighters Reporter

SAN ANTONIO - Robert Carlos Delcid, the 35-year-old suspect in the murder of a Papa John's pizza deliveryman, was already on probation for car theft when he allegedly stole the driver's car and ran him down with it.

Records show Delcid was arrested last November on a charge of theft of a vehicle, and placed on two years probation in April.

San Antonio police believe he was trying to steal another car last Wednesday when its owner, William O'Neill, 46, was run down and killed.

An arrest warrant affidavit stated that O'Neill had gone to an apartment complex in the 6000 block of DeZavala Road to deliver a pizza.

It stated that he left his engine running and the door open while he made the delivery.

Officers at the scene said O'Neill was hit by his own car as someone sped away in it.

After nearly a week of investigating, police located a suspect. However, they said they had help from others.

"The (U. S. Marshals') Lone Star Fugitive Task Force and the homicide unit spent countless man-hours, and with tips from the community, were able to make a safe apprehension," said Officer Douglas Greene, spokesman for SAPD.

The affidavit stated that one of those tips came from a man who told detectives he witnessed Delcid stealing O'Neill's car.

The witness told police he and Delcid were walking through the complex when they came up the vehicle, with the engine running and the door open, the affidavit stated.

He said as Delcid jumped into the car and drove off, he heard a loud crash, the affidavit stated.

The witness said he then noticed O'Neill on the ground with blood coming from his head, the affidavit stated.

Detectives said the man was able to positively identify Delcid as the suspect, the affidavit stated.

"Mr. Robert Delcid was located in a local motel and was taken into custody without incident," Greene said.

Delcid was arrested on a charge of capital murder.

As detectives led him out of Public Safety Headquarters in handcuffs late Tuesday night, the suspect spewed profanities at waiting news crews.

Copyright 2014 by KSAT - All rights reserved.